In some cultures there exist the belief, that the number of breaths of every living being is finite. Therefore, breathing slowly will make us live longer. I like this idea. If we look at animals that become very old (Tortoise, Elephant, Wales, ...) this pattern seems to be true. Emphasizing on the breath is one of the key factors in my teaching and my own practice.
After Patanjali, Yoga is the cessation of the modifications, or fluctuations of the mind (Yoga Sutra 1.2). But how to achieve that? This is exactly where breath and Drishti (focused gaze) come into play. Directly influencing our autonomic nervous system by engaging the parasympathetic nervous system, putting the mind into Rest & Digest response and therefore producing a state of equilibrium and relaxation in the body.
My approach is non-dogmatic, meaning I practice and teach different styles of Yoga. If we see Yoga as a holistic approach we could define/combine the styles like this:
- Power: building strength and agility (Ashtanga as one example)
- Flow: emphasis on cardiovascular and connection to the breath (called Vinyasa, Nyasa means, 'to place' and Vi means 'in a special or sacred way'.)
- Hatha: flexibility training (and hormonal balance)
- Yin: focus on stretching the connective tissues (particularly the fascia)
- Restorative: meditative practice that uses props to encourage a passive release of mind and body tension
- Kundalini: spiritual practice which encompasses a lot of Pranayama, Bandas, Mudras, Meditation
Additionally, I focus on:
- Anatomy, Alignments and Adjustments
- Pranayama – breath control (Prana means life-force or literally breath, yama means control
- Balance and Bandhas (Mula Bandha, Uddiyana Bandha, Jalandhara Bandha, Maha Bandha)
- Specialized Pre-TTC trainings, to prepare you for your own Yoga teacher training
I also offer private classes, just contact me.
Classes are available in English, German, French and Sanskrit.
Come out & play 🙂
Projects & Events
19th – 24th March 2019
Let’s Imagine partnered with the Bali Children Foundation to host a yoga camp in Lovina, Northern Bali, with around 60-100 students ages 8-18. Their vision is to provide an educational pathway for disadvantaged Balinese children – a journey leading to growth and long term sustainability. What a humbling experience to have been part of this project, giving the poorest children of Bali a moment of peace and happiness through Yoga.
09th – 14th March 2019
The land of smiles and Buddha invites you on a once-in-a-lifetime journey to the Southeast of Thailand for the first Agape Zoe Kho Phangan – Holistic Gathering. Five full days of Yoga, Meditation, Dance, Workshops, Culture and Nature with local and international artists. shift_happens_yoga is on the schedule with a dynamic Hatha class - my first occurrence on such a big festival. Come and join us!
August 2018 – March 2019
Leading the Yoga classes at the Diamond Muay Thai Dojo on Koh Phangan, Thailand for nearly 8 months was a tremendous experience. The synergies between Yoga and Muay Thai (or any other martial arts training) are incredibly beneficial. Yoga increases flexibility, grants extreme body control and movement accuracy, reduces the risk of injury, speeds up the mental and physical recovery, supports the more intense training regimes, and allows for more frequent trainings. Bringing the Yin to the Yang, a Yoga and Muay Thai success story!
Hi, my name is Christof.
I used to be a Software Engineer for about 14 years, living in big European cities, having a competitive, fast and very unhealthy lifestyle. The pressure of this rapidly changing industry resulted in phases of depression, self destruction, heavy drug abuse, and the final unavoidable burnout. I guess, only from the inside does the hamster wheel look like a career ladder. I then quit, my job, the drugs, my old life, and discovered Yoga which changed everything. It really was my path out of the vicious circle of negative thoughts and bad behavioural patterns. I love Yoga. It saved me. Many times...
I currently travel through Southeast Asia, following the flow of life and deepening my Yoga experience and teaching skills.
Other Qualifications & Trainings:
- Yoga for Muay Thai Kickboxers – Diamond Muay Thai Dojo, Koh Phangan, Thailand
- Yoga with Children – Yoga camp for kids with the Bali children foundation, March 2019
- Pranayama Workshops - Samma Karuna, Koh Phangan, Thailand
- Yoga Nidra Certification 2018